Glue. This is only important to know after hearing what I had to do with it later.
Teach them early! Charlie sanded a little, then took his hammer and started hitting it pretty good. After that I had to pull out the nails and scrap wood so he could have something to do.
This is what it looked like when I thought it was done. If you look at this one and then look at the finished one (or the link from the example) you can tell it is not correct.
I took the whole thing apart and started over. That glue that I showed earlier, that made it a problem, but I was able to get right.
Done! The right way.
I am really glad I went back and took it apart and started over. At first I was really frustrated with myself for not taking more careful notice of what Melissa showed me to what I was actually making, but then I realized that I will be walking by this shelf multiple times each day. I wanted to do it right and not think about how I messed it up and didn't make it correctly. I am proud of that shelf and Melissa says it is one of her favorites of the things I have made.