Monday, December 3, 2012

25. Swim 1 mile

I don't know if I was encouraged or puzzled, but swimming a mile this morning wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.  My morning started with a 5:00 wake up from my alarm clock.  I had everything laid out and ready to go so I was able to be moving in the van by 5:15.  I have learned from past experience that if I don't have it all set up and ready to go, then there is a good chance I will not go.  But go I did.

After changing I got into the pool at 5:31 and began to swim. The pool is 25 yards long which means that I had to swim 1760 ÷ 25 = 70.4 lengths of the pool.  After experiencing the Icebreaker Marathon I knew that being accountable to count to 70 wasn't going to happen.  Instead I broke it down to 4 separate 400 yard portions.  Each time I would swim two lengths (down and back) I would count it as one and would count 8 of those which would equal 400 yards.  I did that four times and then was left with 160 yards to cover at the end.  For that I just did four more trips down and back getting me a total of 1800 yards.  I'm not going to lie.  I was basically doing side strokes for the whole time.  Any other stroke would have tired me out way too much, but I got it done.

When I was done I just hung onto the edge of the pool.  I didn't stop at all during the mile swim and this was my first break.  It was then that I began to realize just how tired my legs were.  During the swim I just focused on having big kicks to get me through the water and wasn't thinking about how they actually felt. 

The recovery wasn't really that bad.  I got out and sat on the bleachers for a few minutes then went and changed and headed home.  Not a bad morning, until....

This happened on my way to school:

I should have known that was going to happen after seeing what locker I had used at the pool.

I was 2 miles into my ride to school when I heard a hissing noise from my front tire.  Upon further inspection I discovered that there was a piece of glass that punctured the tire.  That meant that I had to walk with my bike for the remaining two miles to school.  Luckily for me I left pretty early so I wasn't late, I was just flustered.  Also luckily for me, I have the best wife in the world who stopped by my school and picked up my tire and took it to get a new tube so I could ride home!

I finished with my favorite drink in the whole entire world.  This stuff is amazing!

Tonight at dinner I told Melissa that this may become my new Monday morning routine.  Well minus the flat tire.  I had a good time and really felt confident that I could do it again.  

42 goals down!

1 comment:

Mom said...

So the "it" you did in ~52 was swim a mile! Great! Quite an adventure all before school! Proud, proud, proud, EP!