Monday, December 1, 2008

The benefits of drinking water

Goal number 67 is for me to drink a gallon of water each day for a week. That is a lot of water, but my body needs it, and so does yours. I typed in the phrase "benefits of drinking water" into a google search and came up with a ton of reasons for why I should make sure I get enough water and I couldn't argue with any of them. The big thing I am thinking about this week is the fact that the marathon is coming up at the end of the week and I need to make sure that my body is fully hydrated. That is the reason I listed the goal in the first place. After doing some research, here are some reasons to drink plenty of water:
  • limits cramping while doing physical activities
  • improves your energy
  • Increase Your Mental and Physical Performance
  • Remove Toxins & Waste Products from your body
  • Keep Skin Healthy and Glowing
  • Help You Lose Weight (or maintain weight)
  • Reduce Headaches and Dizziness
  • Allow for proper Digestion (you can eat all the fiber you want, but without proper hydration, it doesn't have the same impact.)

The rule of thumb they said is to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. With this in mind, the typical thought of 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water doesn't work unless you are 128 lbs. For those of us that are bigger than that, we need to drink more. For those that are exercising and active, it goes up much more. The lesson here is, drink your water. Early and often.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Does this mean you're planning on running the marathon? I hope the doctor says it's alright. I want you to do fun things. So, how does a teacher who has to "hold it" most of the day do while drinking a gallon of water??? I love you, EP.

Eric Weis said...

Still waiting to get my doctor's note. A teacher can hold it because he has a good schedule.
I'm just worried about the car trip down to Bloomington. Matt has got a pretty strict policy about stopping for unnecessary reasons. I remember asking for a break on the way to Cincinnati a few years back. There were definitely a few pumps on the brakes to try to be funny. Matt, that wasn't funny.

Mom said...

You could take a coffee can (or other lidded container) in the car with you! Spencers used to do that when Dave would fly them places in the airplane.

Eric Weis said...

Mom, I would probably be fired if I brought a coffee can around with me to relieve myself. I sure don't think the parents of my students would go for that. That might be the worst advice I've ever gotten.

Also, If I brought it for the car ride, I am sure Matt would not be too supportive of the idea.

Mom said...

Eric! You are too funny! Where in my comment did I ever suggest you use the coffee can at school??! Nowhere! The car, the car! As far as Matt goes, tell him he has to stop or get used to the coffee can! As I recall, when you were about 6 you created a manmade urinal in your bedroom!