Friday, October 10, 2008

Did I just do what I think I did?


I just signed up for a marathon. Is this a big deal? YES! Why is it a big deal, because it is on December 6th. Just about 8 weeks away, and I haven't run in months. I will still be able to get it completed. At least I am not Chad with less than 24 hours of notice. That would be worse!

The reason I signed up is because my persistent brother Matt wanted me to do it. Honestly, I had thoughts of not running another marathon for another decade, I didn't know that it would be just over a half of a year past my first one.

If this marathon was a road marathon I probably would have said I would not do it, but it is a trail marathon which means that most of it is on a trail in some type of forest area. I think it will be nice to have a different experience. There are a few things I am worried about though. 1) It's going to be cold. I don't remember too many December 6ths that were in the 50s or 60s. 2) Training - I am going to have to stay on my game if I want to get to the finish line. 3) I hope it doesn't rain. 26.2 miles with mud on my shoes would be a long run. 4) Looking at reports from runners in the past, they said be careful running on the trails because they can be slippery. I don't want to fall during the race. Some have said that it is inevitable. If that is true, I hope Matt falls first. 5) This one is a big one. The elevevation chart looks similar to what you would see in a hospital showing someone's heart rate. It goes up and down a lot.

Those are some of my worries. I am sure I can overcome them.

I am excited to do the marathon, not because I want to go out and do another 26.2 mile race, but because I am excited to work toward this goal with my brother and to enjoy the time with him. We will drive down together and stay the night before the race together. It will just be a good time for us. He did say if I couldn't make it, he would carry me. I am just hoping that it is not too uncomfortable.

Stay tuned. Training reports to come. I am excited again for those because they give me some quiet time again that I missed out on a lot this summer.

2 comments:

Tyler N said...

Good luck with the training Eric. I might have to do this race next year...sounds like a lot of fun. I am doing some running in the mornings if you want someone to run with.

Matt said...

Dude, you're crazy! I can't believe you're doing another marathon!