Tuesday, July 14, 2009

22. Eat 5 new fruits or vegetables and learn how to prepare them

I made dinner tonight. I hadn't planned on it until today when I was at Jewel in the produce section and decided to look around to see if there was anything I should try out. I made it around to the portabella mushrooms and thought I would give them a try. I'm not sure if they qualify as a vegetable (probably not) but I think it fits close enough into this goal. I had never had them and thought it would be fun to put them on the grill and try out a Portabella Burger. I also grabbed some asparagus to throw on the grill. I rounded it out with some toasted bruschetta. I figured it was a complete meal. Check it out.
The bruschetta was good, the asparagus was good. The portabella mushroom burgers weren't so great. Melissa almost finished it, but with two bites left she said she was full. I on the other hand didn't make it that far. I did give them a fair shot, but I couldn't get over the weird texture. I've heard that they are very similar to eating real burgers, but anyone who has ever said that is totally wrong. It is nothing like that. It was a lot more chewy. I gave it a shot and now know how to properly oil and season a portabella mushroom. Here's my plate when I was done.
I gave it two tries. That was enough. At least now I can say that I've tried them.

2 comments:

Mom said...

The time I had a portabella mushroom it was delicious and did resemble a hamburger. I think it had to do with the seasoning. Maybe I liked it because it was grilled, and grilled food is rare for me these days. Your "finished" plate is hilarious!

Laura said...

My boss grills portabella mushrooms all the time and loves it. I don't have enough courage to even try 'em. So I applaud you for buying them, grilling them, and eating a few bites!