We stopped, read the sign that said it was for sale for $25 then knocked on the front door to ask to buy it. No one was there. The next four times I went to the house no one was there to be able to pay to get the bench. Finally on the third day someone was home to pay. Unfortunately for me it was an older lady who could only take money but would be no help to load it onto the top of our van. I stood looking at it for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out how I was going to get this thing onto the top of the van. God was looking out for me and sent an angel down the block to help me out. We lifted it on top of the van, I strapped it down and it was finally going to our home.
This picture does no justice. It doesn't account for the smell or for all of the little and big scratches. The clamps on front are holding the front piece together after I glued it. The previous owners had put tape over it to hold it in place. It was actually split about halfway across the front. I pushed glue into the creases and the clamps held it all together. You can barely tell it was split as bad as it was. That is probably the part of the bench that I hold the most pride.
The bench was actually pretty well constructed. It is really heavy and after sanding it down (about 25 sanding pads for the orbital sander) and using some stripper for the groves it was ready to go.
Melissa was in charge of staining and sealing. She did a really good job.
Here's the finished product. It fits absolutely perfect. Every time Charlie needs his shoes put on he sits up on the bench with his feet dangling over while I put them on.
This was a great cheap find for something that Melissa has wanted for quite awhile. I am very happy that we finally have one.