Monday, March 17, 2008

12 long miles

I don't know what I was thinking, but I got it done. I ran 12 miles before 9 o'clock church. It was cold and windy. My drink didn't freeze this week, but it was pretty cold. I am starting to dislike my brother for putting bad thoughts into my head. I thought the whole time about going home because it is so close. I didn't think about it before, but now I think about it a lot more. Toward the end of my run the thoughts were gone, but it was tough at the beginning. Especially since I went to bed after midnight and woke up at 5:30 for my run! Overall, the run went well. No injuries, no stomach aches and nothing else bad to report on. My time was just about the same as it was from last week, so that makes me feel good to know that I have a consistent pace that I am going at for the long runs.
While I was running I thought about a blog post that my brother-in-law posted. It was about being fanatical about things that are earthly, while putting godly things second. He wrote in his post http://watchinggravity.blogspot.com/2008/01/congratulations.html about being fanatical about saving money. I have fallen into this category very much where I am looking for the best deals and trying to do my best to save the most money that I can for my family. My situation is a little different in that I am not out buying a gas grill or big items, I am always looking for the best deals on cereal, milk or other necessities. I have turned into much of a bargain hunter. I spend plenty of time cutting and sorting coupons and looking for where I can use them best. I don't buy too many things that we don't need in the house unless I can get them for free. When I started I used to spend hours scouring for the best deals each week, now it is down only to about an hour a week. This to say, I have figured out what is important and what is not, but I am still a little fanatical about it.
Another thing that I seem to spend much of my free time doing is watching television. Usually it is on in the background while playing with the girls, but it is still something that consumes much of my time.
I think that if I spent a little less time being fanatical about these things and toward much of the useless stuff that I watch on television, I am sure that my day would be much better spent in God's eyes toward what I do with my life. I am not saying cutting these things out, I just know that I need to spend much more time reading the Bible and in devotion toward God.

No comments: