Monday, March 24, 2008

It's not the same

On my last post I talked about how well my run went and how beautiful the sun was and how good I felt after my run. Today is not the same at all. I think everything went wrong on my run today. I wore too many clothes, I hurt my ankle, I was bored, I was tired and the biggest one of all, I stopped to walk. I don't know how or why it happened, I just stopped. It was terrible. I tried to start up again, but it took quite a while to get going again. I wasted a ton of time and energy just getting up to running again. With that said, I didn't run the whole amount I was supposed to, but rather only ran 9 miles. I felt broken when I got home. I know it isn't the biggest deal, it is only something that I do on my own. I didn't let anyone else down. My problem was that I had a goal and didn't live up to it. I wrote in an earlier post about how I struggled in the past with completing things after I started them. I had the hardest time today because I felt that happening again to me today. I am just really hoping that this is not something that my body and mind do in the coming weeks. I really want to stick to this program as much as I can, especially on the long runs during the middle of the week and on the weekends. We will see how it goes.
Today I wanted to focus on the sermon that I heard yesterday. The topic was about hell and heaven. I thought about my run today and thought it fit into one of the categories, but then remembered the sermon. When I was listening, I thought it was a great topic and one that I could focus on during my run today. So often we hear people say, "What the hell" or "That was a hell of a fill in the blank." It is weird that we hear the word hell quite often and just think nothing of it. Well in the sermon yesterday, it was challenged to think about what is really being said. Hopefully we are not comparing things here on earth to hell. That is impossible. Things on this earth are nothing like hell. If you think they are, or can be, read the book of Job. In reading his story, I would compare what he went through to the closest that I could compare hell to. But it still isn't hell. Think about how bad it can really be.
On the other side, I was thinking about heaven. This is something also used when doing comparisons. We use it for ice cream, beautiful summer days, a hot tub after a long run... There are many things in this world that make us feel great. They make us enjoy things more. They make us really appreciate life. These are not heavenly things. These may be blessings from God, but they are not heavenly. There is a difference.
I am sure that when each of us dies, we will all know the difference.

No comments: