Friday, March 26, 2010

15. Make 20 straight free throws

I can finally do a post about free throws that isn't about falling short. Over the past year and a half, I have had plenty of those.


 Today I did it!  I went in and started shooting during lunch.  In the first 10 that I shot I was 50%.  I made one, then missed the next.  That pattern happened for quite awhile. I was definitely feeling like it wasn't going to happen today.  I started to focus a lot more for each shot and they started to fall.  I made 4, then missed one.  I made 7, then missed one.  Finally, I began making one after another.  I got to 12 and started to feel the nerves kick in.  By 16, I was both excited and nervous. Getting that far only happens about once every other week. By 19 I was really pumped, but really focused.  This is the opportunity I had waited for many times. I just needed one more. To add to the pressure, Kayla,one of my students, walked into the gym to see how I was doing.  I told her that I was at 19 and she got really excited.  I took a deep breath and let it fly.  It went in!  I was so excited.  I kept going and made it to 23.  A new high!  Kayla was so excited to walk with me down the hall to pick up the rest of the class at recess.  I know this is stupid, but I had to meet my kids outside to let them know the news.  Boy am I glad that I did!  When I told them that I got the goal, you would have thought that I just told them we were spending the rest of the day outside for extra recess.  It sure was s sight to see!  Every day after lunch they ask how I did.  It was nice to finally give them good news after so many times giving them "bad" news.

I am so excited to have this goal done.  When it was written I knew it was lofty, but it was something I wanted to give a try.  Trent had it on his list (although he had 25) so I added it to mine.  It sounded fun at the time so I gave it a shot.  Now that it is over, I did have fun.  It was a nice break to have in the middle of the day to separate me from the normal things that are going on.  It also gave me a reason to leave the teacher's lounge.  Any male elementary teacher understands that conversations in a teacher's lounge with a room full of women can sometimes get awkward and uncomfortable (today was no exception).

I am going to continue shoot free throws at lunch.  It really is a nice break in the middle of the day. 
Another goal down!  Just like earlier in the week with the drum goal it wasn't one that I was planning to finish today.  What a great way to end the week!

Hopefully I will get two more done next week to get me into the 60s.  It sure does feel good to keep checking off goals!

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Way to go Mr. Weis! It's fun to see you in teacher clothes. I would love to see you in front of your class. :) I bet you are an amazing teacher.

Matt said...

AWESOME!!! I totally understand just how difficult that is. I think it's one of your hardest goals. I think it would have been totally acceptable to yell at that girl to get out of the gym. That's what I'd have done if I was sitting on 19.

melissa said...

STUD.

Katie said...

Love the teacher's lounge comment :) Way to go on your goals. And Happy Spring Break! (to Melissa, too!!)

Mom said...

You relate to your students so well because you are sharing your "personal" life with them. They will always remember what a wonderful teacher you are (were).

JRev said...

Your the man!