Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Perseverence

Boy did I not want to run today. When I woke up it was from one of the girls crying. It was 5° outside and it had snowed last night. It is really hard to run on the street with snow, it is like running on sand, which makes the run altogether difficult. As I began my run I was doing pretty well. There were a few times that my body wanted to walk, but I just made my mind think about other things while I was running. This way I avoided even thinking about walking and for my little bit over 3 miles I ran today, I didn't walk. It felt great. I actually put my arms up in the air like I was crossing the finishing ribbon in front of my house. I felt dorky, but it felt great.
During my run I thought about setting goals and sticking to them. During college I learned that I set a ton of goals, or verbally said a lot of things that I wanted to do, but never got to doing them. That really hit me and after realizing that is something that I did pretty consistently, I have tried to really stick to doing what I have said I will do. I have even gone as far as not verbally saying things that I want to do until I am really sure I am going to do them. Even to some of my closest friends.
I have known for awhile that I need to set reasonable achievable goals. I love to shoot for the moon as far as what I want to do and when it should be able to be done, but I have learned that there is only so much that can be done at a time.

No comments: