Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Long Week - run #1 - 5 miles

Today's run went pretty well. There were no problems and I felt just fine at the end. Hal Higdon says if you are able to hold a conversation during your run or if you aren't gasping for air at the end then you are definitely going at a good pace. I fit that category well today. I felt great at the end of the race. I didn't feel over-exerted at the end and felt like I could just go into my day without having any recovery time. It's crazy to think that. When I think back to last summer when I ran 5 miles in Toronto with my brother, I was a mess for days. The whole day I was in pain with plenty of aches. Today I ran 5 miles with no issues. It is amazing to know how far I have come. Really, I won't know how far I have really come until after the week is over. 40 miles in a week is a long way to go. I've done 5. I am sure it will be good.
While running I thought about our small group meeting that we had last night. We didn't have a normal meeting, but rather had a meeting to discuss things about our group. We talked about what we do well and what we could improve on. We also talked about areas at the church that we could serve in. It was good to do. The idea of increasing the number in our group came up as well. With that idea comes the idea of splitting later on. I am a fan of both, but am cautious as to how it could be done well with our group. The problem is that we are all really good friends, if we split, we definitely wouldn't be seeing each other as often. I wish it were easy, but it isn't. The good think in all of this thinking is knowing that there are people out there that are desparate for relationships just as we were years ago. With our focus being on trying to search others out, they would then have the chance to have some of what we have had over the past years. That is not a bad thing. That is what we need to do. Now it is just the doing aspect of getting to that place.

No comments: